- Back to Media Pack home page
A pulsating novel set in modern-day Cornwall, where a desire to protect a cherished surf spot becomes a struggle between an individual and huge commercial interests.
Twenty-eight-year-old Sam Alder is a carpenter, living in a small, close-knit seaside town. Both home and work begin to fall apart, when he objects to a major building project that threatens a beautiful landscape. As he tries to restore the life he loves, he discovers a hidden world of powerful forces that want to exploit everything he holds precious … and he is in their way.
Book length 55,000 words
Genre Political Drama
- Powerful organisations, corporates and individuals, acting without ethics to get their way. Touches on Big Data campaigns and social media profiling.
- Meeting a threat head-on allows the hero to resolve important issues of manhood.
- A complex romantic relationship becomes a dangerous obstacle.
- The spirit of ancient Cornwall and the local surf culture
- A battle to save a beautiful and healthy coastline from ugly development
- A world that puts money before people and the environment
- Local officials who do as they’re told
- A love story that starts badly
- A coming of age story
- The fragility of tourist regions and areas of outstanding natural beauty
- Unrestrained ‘free market’ activity
- Insidious use of social media / digital material / loss of privacy
- Unscrupulous PR tactics
- Ocean pollution / threats to the natural environment
- A permissive Planning system in the UK
- The craven desire for foreign direct investment
- Housing justice
- Community spirit